Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spring Marches On

Bloated from a huge Passover dinner last night, I wandered around taking pictures of my yard on this rainy spring morning.

Here's our baby cherry tree, which is getting lovely blossoms all over it.



Likewise our five young blueberry bushes.



We even have the first real rosebud coming in! This year is a big change from last year, when we almost didn't have any roses for the start of the Rose Festival over Memorial Day weekend. Now here it is March and the roses are already gearing up for the summer!



Keith's going to get the big raised bed in the backyard filled with dirt so we can go ahead and start planting some of the huge pile of seeds I have now. We have seeds upon seeds upon seeds, but work is still much leaner than usual, so we haven't had the money to get everything ready for planting yet. I hope we don't miss the whole season! We also need to rototill the yard and cover it with black plastic for a couple of weeks - I wanted to avoid that option, but it really looks like the only way we can kill off all our grass. My fingers are crossed tight for doing that soon.

Meanwhile, Doris is sick or injured and I can't figure out what's wrong with her. She sure looks awful...



She's been limping for a few weeks now, but I can't find anything wrong with the foot or leg. We can't afford a vet visit for a chicken, but she hasn't laid an egg for two weeks and she's looking pretty bad. I hope we can figure out what it is soon, and help her. The other hens are fine - Lana's still parked on that nest in the garage, with less than two weeks to go until her chicks hatch.

And it's raining, and raining, and raining... we're set to get almost three inches of rain this week. Springtime in Portland.

No comments:

Post a Comment