Thursday, October 15, 2009

Cranberry-Apple Chutney


Everybody cancel your plans for Thanksgiving and Christmas! Y'all have to come to my house and have some of this chutney I came up with last night. I started with this recipe for plain apple chutney, but then I got inspired... I almost wish I ate pork because it seems like it would go so well with bacon or ham; since I don't, I can't wait to put it with some turkey. I made four pints of it and already I think I'll have to make some more for gifts.

CRANBERRY-APPLE CHUTNEY

8 cups peeled, chopped apples (about 3 pounds)
1/2 c lemon juice
3 c apple cider vinegar
1 c white vinegar
4 c sugar
20-25 garlic cloves (depending on size), peeled
Big chunk fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
3 tsp salt
2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 c dried cherries
1 c fresh cranberries
1/2 c honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp mustard seeds

Chop up the apples and toss with the lemon juice. Set aside.

Combine vinegars and sugar in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and simmer about 10-15 minutes. While that simmers, combine garlic, ginger, salt, and crushed red pepper in a small food processor and whiz it up until it's all finely chopped together. Once the brine is simmered up, stir in the lemony apples and the garlic-ginger mix, then stir in everything else. Bring it back to a boil, then simmer uncovered, stirring often, until it all thickens into a chutney (about an hour, maybe a bit longer). Use a splatter screen! This makes an unholy mess, but it won't thicken if you put a lid on and keep the steam in.

Once it's all thick and ready, transfer into four sterilized pint jars. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes, or put it all in the fridge and give some away to people you really like.

A friend suggested that this would be excellent on a Monte Cristo sandwich, if that's your thing. It's not so much my thing, but I can already think of a zillion uses for this, starting with a nice gorgonzola.

7 comments:

  1. This is TRULY inspired!! I want to make some for everyone as gifts now. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Can I substitute honey or molasses for the sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why don't you love Monte Cristos (aside from the ham)? The sweet & savory combo sounds up your alley. I bet a Monte Cristo with thinly sliced turkey breast subbed in for ham, with your chutney, would be heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never actually had one! But something about it doesn't appeal to me... sugar for sugar's sake. I'd try a turkey one though. Maybe when you come visit next we can make some with the chutney.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am making this as we speak!
    I added dried apricots to mine, so we'll see how that goes

    ReplyDelete