Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Self-Preservation, Another Round

The Oregon meal was excellent, if anyone was curious. I took video of some of the food preparation, and still need to get a couple more shots but I'll be uploading the video soon. It should be a cute little project.

Then last night I made this incredible peanut sauce over brown rice, sauteed spinach and chard, and cubed lemon-baked chicken. I really can't get over how good it is - we all but licked the bowl. Later tonight I'm braising collard and kohlrabi greens (with crockpot blackeye peas and creamed corn from scratch) and there's enough sauce left to drizzle over the greens... mmm, I'm already drooling.

Meanwhile I'm having another preservation day today. We harvested another pumpkin yesterday, so even though I already have 10 cups of pumpkin puree (five cans' worth) in my freezer, I've got two more pumpkins to process. I'm saving the seeds from the sweet one, and I'll also be saving seeds from my ancho chiles. I need to put a huge bowl of cherry tomatoes in the dehydrator for dried tomatoes later in the year - they won't be "sun-dried," but they'll taste just as good when I'm dying for tomatoes in the winter.

My canning agenda looks like this:
Maple Pumpkin Butter
Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam
Concord Grape Jelly
Salsa Verde
Lavender Jelly
Rosemary Jelly

And my freezer agenda looks like this:
Pumpkin Gnocchi
Pumpkin Puree
Diced Pumpkin (for chili and stew)
Pumpkin Seed Pesto

Better get cracking. I've got a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment